R148.84 million loan allocated for the implementation of the Moretele LM Municipal Infrastructure Grant Pledging Programme for roads, water and sanitation Infrastructure.
Moretele is situated in the Bojanala Platinum District Municipality, north of Pretoria, adjoining four provinces - North West, Gauteng, Mpumalanga and Limpopo. Most people live in villages and traditional areas, with the majority of economic activity in the area coming from platinum mining. To address the infrastructure backlogs faced by the municipalities, subsidisation of interest costs for the under-resourced municipalities was required. The programme encompasses 10 projects that span provision of sanitation infrastructure, construction of water reticulation infrastructure and construction of paved roads in the municipal area, as well as the construction of sports facilities.
- Eradicating service delivery backlogs in the water and roads infrastructure sectors
- Improving the health of community members
- Creating temporary employment opportunities
- Alleviating poverty in the local communities
Development outcomes and measurable impacts
- 3 164 households benefited from the project:
- 1 884 households have access to sanitation services
- 1 279 households have access to water supply services
- 601 temporary job opportunities created in the implementation of the programme
- 13.4km upgrading and resealing of roads and construction of stormwater drainage facilities
- 6.5km of new paved roads completed