Independent Grievance Redress Mechanism (IGRM)
About the DBSA IGRM
What Is a Grievance, and What Do We Do
Mandate of the IGRM: Compliance Review
Mandate of the IGRM: Problem-Solving
Mandate of the IGRM: Monitoring & Evaluation
Mandate of the IGRM: Governance Structure
Management of Complaints: How to File a Complaint
Management of Complaints: Information Required Per Complaint/Grievance
Management of Complaints: How We Handle Complaints
Statement Against Retaliation
All grievances must include the name, address, telephone number, email, and other contact information of the AP. If a grievance is submitted on behalf of an AP by a different person or entity, the identification of the AP on whose behalf the grievance is being submitted should be provided. In addition, evidence of authorization by the AP for the grievance to be submitted, and acknowledgment of that authorization by the person or entity concerned should be provided, if relevant. In addition, an AP should provide the following information:
- The name, location, and nature of the project or programme that has caused or may cause adverse impacts;
- Detail of the adverse impact which the Aggrieved Party wishes to have addressed;
- Outcome or intervention desired by the Aggrieved Party; and
- An indication of whether confidentiality is requested by the AP.
In addition, where possible an AP may wish to include:
- A description of the relevant legislation, policies, procedures or project institutional arrangements which the AP alleges have not been complied with;
- A description of other efforts including access to grievance/redress mechanisms of the DBSA or other dispute resolution processes, if any, that the AP has pursued or intends to pursue to resolve the concerns, and redress, if any, already received from such efforts; and
- Other relevant information including documents, media reports, photographs, videos and recordings, if any, which might assist and/or facilitate the IGRM’s processing of the grievance.
- Grievances should be lodged in accordance with section 8 of the IGRM;
- The IGRM Secretariat will acknowledge receipt of the grievance in writing within 10 (ten) days of receipt.
- The IGRM Chairperson will review the grievance for compliance with the IGRM and may request the AP to amend or clarify any aspect of the grievance within 10 (ten) of acknowledging receipt of the grievance.
- Provided that it is assessed that the grievance is compliant and suited to IGRM, the IGRM committee shall assess the grievance for its suitability to be resolved in accordance with one of the following mechanisms namely, Compliance Review (Investigation) or Problem-Solving Process (mediation) and notify the AP of the mechanism which will be employed to address the Grievance no later than 10 (ten) days after the grievance was acknowledged;
- Should the grievance not fall within the scope of the IGRM, the IGRM Secretariat may refer the AP to the appropriate mechanism or forum for lodging the grievance;
- IGRM Committee will design the terms of the reference for the mechanism identified and may appoint Experts to assist the IGRM Committee; and
- Written summary of the outcome of the grievance will be provided to the AP within 10 (ten) days of completion of the processed for each mechanism as set out below.
- Compliance Review (Investigation)